Friday, September 23, 2005

It's Not Where You're From, It's Where You're At



I thought I would use the space today to give y'all a brief walking tour of my neighborhood, the beautiful Mt. Rainier, MD. Largely unknown(by name at least) by many in the DC Metro Area, it sits just shy of the NE dividing line of MD and DC known as Eastern Ave. You can find out all kinds of civic details at the city's website.
This is a long shot of
My Block, not too far off from the center of town.


The center of town is essentially a traffic circle and doesn't really constitute the actual center of town. But as a point of reference, it's handy. Sitting right on the edge of the traffic circle is a new Artspace building that is residence to some 30-40 artists I believe, most new to the area.

A view from across the street.

Mt. Rainier has long been an artist's community, putting much of the area's energy and resources into arts programs and businesses. Joes's Movement Emporium has been at the forefront, below is a shot walking by their storefront.



Across the street from Joe's is the best Antique shop in Mt Rainier, my buddy Stuart's Mt Rainier Antiques. I'm not trying to blow up a secret spot, but I have found some really good records there on occasion. But don't think about stepping into my 'hood for records, cuz I have that place on LOCK. But do stop in and buy some antiques from my man Stuart if you are in the area.


Next we have the West Indian homemade ice cream parlor that just opened this year! They make great ice cream (Rum Raisin and Soursop are my wife's faves, I prefer the Guava, but they have the usual flavors too) and you can even get a tasty beef patty for cheap. Highly recommended. Love the plastic palm tree the most.


Finally I have reached my destination, The Glut. the Glut is a Mt Rainier institution and has been around for years. I go there on the regular mostly for my fair trade coffee (always French Roast ground extra fine). They also have great vegetables, organic everything(except meat, I don't think they deal in meat) and really cheap good bagels and nut mixes. The economic lynchpin of the community, this place brings together people of incredibly diverse backgrounds under it's roof, and has been a stabilizing factor in the city since it's inception. Support the Glut!


Heading back home, I just love this block. This is just the type of block that will never be constructed again in America, and it's a shame. It's beautiful. Now dominated by Latino-owned shops, it is finally lively again, after mostly sitting empty for a while. Glad to see it coming back.


Another angle on the Traffic Circle.


The roadway into DC. Rhode Island Avenue, once dominated by liquor stores, those days have passed. Now I just hope some viable locally owned business can work some magic and get the life back onto this stretch. To the left is our award-winning Cop Shop (aka Police Station).


From a backward glance, this is the Latin American Folk Institute, another great place that I don't know nearly enough about. Seriously, they offer music and dance classes (sometimes in conjuction with Joe's Movement Emporium) and provide a superb setting for them with this building. It's places like this that make my neighborhood more than the run of the mill strip-mall towns that surround us and why I love it here.

So that was my trip to get some coffee. Now, can we get a damn cofee shop in this burg?

Quote of the Day:
"A great many people think they are thinking,
when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."
-William James

Don't forget we'll see y'all out the mall Saturday for Operation:Ceasefire

2 comments:

Larry Grogan said...

Great feature C***!
You don't see too many people repping their neighborhood like that. We'll have to drop by when we hit DC.

Birdman said...

Thanks Larry!
Our door is always open to you and yours.